Ir al contenido principal

How I Finally Made Meditation A Daily Habit


  Jess Cording
Meditation has been shown to have numerous benefits to our mind and body such as stress and anxiety management, emotional wellbeing, improved focus and better sleep. Many successful people cite meditation as a valuable tool. For years I’ve recommended it to my clients, and yet, I struggled to make it part of my own routine.  

There was always some excuse: an unpredictable schedule, events, deadlines, lack of time. Probably the sneakiest excuse for me of all was that I did yoga so did I really need to meditate on top of that?
I’d interview people and hear them talk about their meditation routine and think, “That sounds nice, but I could never do that. I’m too busy—and besides, I do yoga.”

My studio was like my second home. Aside from being a place where I’d made friends and even business contacts, it had given me a safe place to go work things out in my head. Yoga had seen me through break-ups, career shifts and even my father’s battle with cancer.

Then about a month after my dad died, the studio announced they were closing. This sounds like a total First World Problem—and it is—so I tried to stay positive, calling it a challenge to become more adaptable. Still, as a healthcare professional, I know taking care of myself helps me better care for my clients, so I was anxious to see how this shake-up to my self-care routine might impact my business.

In the midst of all this, I was writing a book, pulling late nights and early mornings. I found myself trying to multitask rest time with meditation time. I often fell asleep while trying to focus on my breath. Unfortunately, a fitful catnap did not have those same mental benefits. The combination of grief, poor sleep, and the loss of that baked-in mindfulness made me feel like my brain was short-circuiting.

You’re probably thinking, “This is New York—why didn’t you just find a new studio?” I was out there trying different places, but building a new routine takes time.
Which brings me back to meditation.

This winter, a friend of mine who was going through a different brand of tough stuff shared that getting back into meditation was helping him. After months of trying to keep my struggle to myself, I opened up about it. He suggested we do regular meditation check-ins to keep each other accountable. I’d never considered this approach but was willing to try.

It took about a week for it to feel like a daily thing, but I quickly noticed the benefits. I became more aware of when my mind started to wander, making it easier to refocus or redirect so I could stay on track with projects. If a situation stressed me out I was better able to identify exactly what was gnawing at me and respond calmly and thoughtfully. I found it easier to prioritize—my daily to-do list got smaller and I felt less pressured to respond right away to every single email. I also did a lot less online shopping.

 Perhaps the biggest benefit I noticed, though, was that when I got bad news or found myself awake at night with my mind on an anxiety loop, rather than let it hijack my brain, I focused on steps I could take to deal with the situation. 
 

-I Started Small 

I started with three and then five minutes. Soon 10 or 15 felt doable. On Valentine’s Day I even went to a 30-minute self-love meditation that flew by. 
-I Made It Convenient 

You don’t have to use an app, but I found the support of a tech tool (I chose Headspace) extremely helpful in staying consistent and tracking my progress to help motivate me. I set reminder alerts for times of day I would be likely to be in a place where I could sit quietly. 

-I Found A Time That Worked 

I tried out different times of day to see what felt doable. It turns out I’m still not a morning meditation person, but an afternoon reset or end-of-day wind-down works great. 

-I Added An Accountability Component

This was huge for me. I’d often thought of meditation as a solitary practice, but checking in with someone every day actually helped me stick to it. Just be careful if you get competitive—it should feel like a supporting, encouraging relationship. 

While I’m now meditating daily, I have to admit I’m still on the journey, learning as I go. Like so many things, I’ve found, it really is about learning to be where you are and be open to making changes one small step at a time.

Published in: 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jesscording/2019/03/11/make-meditation-a-habit/#79e2c37a2b60

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Sex trends 2023: del mindfulness sexual a los renovados sextoys

 Mindfulness sexual, tecnología aplicada a la intimidad y fantasías “fuera del clóset” son algunos de los temas que encabezarán el 2023, según una encuesta. Sin embargo, se destaca cómo una práctica se mantiene aún como un tabú: el sexo anal. El sondeo realizado por el grupo Lovehoney, dedicado al sector del bienestar sexual y proveedor de productos íntimos, hace hincapié en los prejuicios vigentes alrededor de esto, sobre todo en personas con pene como receptoras. Estos son los resultados del año:  1- Mindfulness sexual El mundo en que vivimos se ha vuelto más complejo: los teléfonos inteligentes y las redes sociales nos han llevado a un estado de sobreestimulación constante y estamos acostumbrados a tener una disponibilidad constante de entretenimiento. Muchas personas se sienten estresadas y agotadas en este estado constante de opciones abrumadoras y sobreestimulación. Como resultado, la gente busca un equilibrio: las aplicaciones, talleres y libros de mindfulness, están en auge. Pa

Mindfulness buffers the relationship between discrimination and depressive symptoms

By Eric W. Dolan New research suggests that mindfulness can protect against some of the negative psychological consequences of racial and ethnic discrimination. The study was published in the journal Mindfulness . “Mounting research has demonstrated the positive effects of mindfulness for mitigating the effects of stress,” said study author Amanda J. Shallcross of New York University. “However, the bulk of this research has been conducted in racially/ethnically homogeneous samples,” she told PsyPost. “Given the socio-political climate in the U.S. right now, the time was ripe to test whether mindfulness may be helpful for the significant numbers of racial/ethnic minorities who face daily stress in the form of discrimination.” The researchers surveyed 97 Black, Asian, and Hispanic adults living in New York City regarding mindfulness, discrimination, and depression. They found that mindfulness moderated the relationship between perceived discriminatio

Meditar frente al mar: un regalo para los 5 sentidos

El mar nos da todo lo que necesitamos para nutrir nuestro cuerpo, pero también nuestra mente. Por eso queremos proponerte una experiencia única para los cinco sentidos: meditar frente al mar y conectarte con él para que puedas poner un poco de pausa a tu día y recargar energías. A continuación te descubrimos todos los beneficios que tiene la meditación para el cuerpo y la mente, y te contamos cómo meditar frente al mar paso a paso. ¿Te animas a probarlo? ¡Te aseguramos que repetirás! Los beneficios de meditar frente al mar La meditación es una práctica cada vez más habitual en nuestro día a día. Lejos quedaron aquellos tiempos en los que la meditación se asociaba a los monjes del Tíbet, y cada día son más quienes dedican unos minutos de su tiempo a desconectar del ajetreo diario y poner un poco de calma a su rutina. Meditar está lleno de beneficios: relaja el cuerpo y la mente, nos ayuda a conectar con nuestro yo interior, produce una oleada de bienestar y aumenta los nivele