Ir al contenido principal

How I Finally Made Meditation A Daily Habit


  Jess Cording
Meditation has been shown to have numerous benefits to our mind and body such as stress and anxiety management, emotional wellbeing, improved focus and better sleep. Many successful people cite meditation as a valuable tool. For years I’ve recommended it to my clients, and yet, I struggled to make it part of my own routine.  

There was always some excuse: an unpredictable schedule, events, deadlines, lack of time. Probably the sneakiest excuse for me of all was that I did yoga so did I really need to meditate on top of that?
I’d interview people and hear them talk about their meditation routine and think, “That sounds nice, but I could never do that. I’m too busy—and besides, I do yoga.”

My studio was like my second home. Aside from being a place where I’d made friends and even business contacts, it had given me a safe place to go work things out in my head. Yoga had seen me through break-ups, career shifts and even my father’s battle with cancer.

Then about a month after my dad died, the studio announced they were closing. This sounds like a total First World Problem—and it is—so I tried to stay positive, calling it a challenge to become more adaptable. Still, as a healthcare professional, I know taking care of myself helps me better care for my clients, so I was anxious to see how this shake-up to my self-care routine might impact my business.

In the midst of all this, I was writing a book, pulling late nights and early mornings. I found myself trying to multitask rest time with meditation time. I often fell asleep while trying to focus on my breath. Unfortunately, a fitful catnap did not have those same mental benefits. The combination of grief, poor sleep, and the loss of that baked-in mindfulness made me feel like my brain was short-circuiting.

You’re probably thinking, “This is New York—why didn’t you just find a new studio?” I was out there trying different places, but building a new routine takes time.
Which brings me back to meditation.

This winter, a friend of mine who was going through a different brand of tough stuff shared that getting back into meditation was helping him. After months of trying to keep my struggle to myself, I opened up about it. He suggested we do regular meditation check-ins to keep each other accountable. I’d never considered this approach but was willing to try.

It took about a week for it to feel like a daily thing, but I quickly noticed the benefits. I became more aware of when my mind started to wander, making it easier to refocus or redirect so I could stay on track with projects. If a situation stressed me out I was better able to identify exactly what was gnawing at me and respond calmly and thoughtfully. I found it easier to prioritize—my daily to-do list got smaller and I felt less pressured to respond right away to every single email. I also did a lot less online shopping.

 Perhaps the biggest benefit I noticed, though, was that when I got bad news or found myself awake at night with my mind on an anxiety loop, rather than let it hijack my brain, I focused on steps I could take to deal with the situation. 
 

-I Started Small 

I started with three and then five minutes. Soon 10 or 15 felt doable. On Valentine’s Day I even went to a 30-minute self-love meditation that flew by. 
-I Made It Convenient 

You don’t have to use an app, but I found the support of a tech tool (I chose Headspace) extremely helpful in staying consistent and tracking my progress to help motivate me. I set reminder alerts for times of day I would be likely to be in a place where I could sit quietly. 

-I Found A Time That Worked 

I tried out different times of day to see what felt doable. It turns out I’m still not a morning meditation person, but an afternoon reset or end-of-day wind-down works great. 

-I Added An Accountability Component

This was huge for me. I’d often thought of meditation as a solitary practice, but checking in with someone every day actually helped me stick to it. Just be careful if you get competitive—it should feel like a supporting, encouraging relationship. 

While I’m now meditating daily, I have to admit I’m still on the journey, learning as I go. Like so many things, I’ve found, it really is about learning to be where you are and be open to making changes one small step at a time.

Published in: 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jesscording/2019/03/11/make-meditation-a-habit/#79e2c37a2b60

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Mindfulness: preguntas y respuestas

  El mindfulness tiene sus raíces en la filosofía oriental y se ha traducido al castellano como atención plena. En los últimos años se ha popularizado considerablemente en occidente: se menciona en todo tipo de publicaciones; se imparte en numerosos centros, incluso en empresas, colegios, etc. Pese a ello, es difícil encontrar una única definición sobre qué es mindfulness. Por ejemplo, algunas fuentes indican que el mindfulness es una forma de practicar meditación, mientras que otras aducen lo contrario. Y es que se trata tanto de una actividad como de un estado que se puede alcanzar. Por otro lado, encontramos diversas formas de practicarlo o de alcanzar ese estado de atención plena. Para practicarlo suelen proponerse determinados ejercicios. Son típicos los de la uva pasa o la llama de la vela, pero también hay otros ejercicios más genéricos, en los que simplemente se nos indica que focalicemos y sostengamos nuestra atención en una actividad cotidiana que estemos llevando a cabo,...

Sobrevivir al éxito

El éxito cuando no se enfrenta con sentido común puede tocar teclas de nuestro ego que termina afectando nuestra percepción de la realidad Por Moris Beracha .-  En algunas conversaciones es común que surja el tema de cómo afrontar el éxito. Al principio me asombra esta pregunta porque uno podría pensar que la curiosidad de las personas se centra más en cómo afrontar el dolor. Luego entendí que el éxito es un deseo que todos los seres humanos tienen. No está mal pensar en él como la culminación de manera positiva de una tarea o un deseo hecho realidad, el problema comienza cuando el éxito afecta nuestro ego. Es muy común ver entre nosotros los humanos lo bien que podemos enfrentar los problemas pero también es común ver lo difícil que se nos hace enfrentar el éxito . Como bien se ha dicho "Nada corrompe más a una persona que el poder".  El éxito cuando no se enfrenta con sentido común puede tocar teclas de nuestro ego que termina afectando nuestra percepción...

Estos ejercicios de yoga te ayudarán a calmarte si los nervios te superan

  ¿Te sientes muy estresada? ¿Necesitas relajarte en poco tiempo? Puedes conseguirlo en tan solo cinco minutos si utilizas el yoga como aliado. "En yoga conseguimos conectar nuestro cuerpo, mente y emociones. Gracias a las posturas corporales acompañadas de una respiración profunda, estiramientos y meditación, conseguimos entrar en un estado de relajación y tranquilidad.  Consecuentemente, reducimos el estrés y la ansiedad, dormimos mejor y nos enfocamos en el momento presente (mindfulness)", nos explica Yamel Gonzalez , Studio Manager B3B Woman Studio. Cada persona es diferente y debemos aprender a escucharnos y conocer nuestro cuerpo. Si estamos en momentos con mucho estrés o ansiedad, seguramente practicar yoga todos los días nos ayudará. Si estamos en periodos relajados o vacaciones no será necesario practicarlo todos los días.  "Lo que sí recomendamos es practicar todos los días ejercicios de meditación y técnicas de mindfulness para poder alcanzar un estado mental ...